Wednesday 25 September 2013

Role As Producer

After another chat with Helen, it has become clear that this sort of documentary wouldn't have a traditional script writer. The story comes from the interviews and then is worked out in the edit. So for this project I'm not sure I would not necessarily have the role of writer?

 Therefore my role is a Creative Journalistic Producer and I would hope to be judged on these elements:

1) Coming up with the idea and developing the film. Extensive research into the subject.. hours of reading, watching documentaries, emailing doctors and professors,  scouting news paper articles and blogs.

2) Building an audience through Bipolar UK, film festivals,  our website and potentially BBC South East.

3) Working with contributors, building a great report with them, finding the stories, emails, correspondence, interview techniques, phone conversations and recording them.

4) Although traditionally a film producer would find the budget, I feel I have achieved this in a way by pitching to  Bipolar UK, a very scary process.
 I managed to convince them to partner with us, and they provided an employee to work with us throughout the project, who is available when ever I need advice and support.  I suppose if you factor in her salary, this was a large amount of budget we have negotiated. Another large amount of money, would be the platform of the film and the effect/ cost of the bandwidth on their website. To reach 10,000 viewers a day without them, would take thousands of pounds of investment and advertisement. Bipolar UK have asked that the film have a positive ending/message and exceeds no longer than 30 minutes, which is what we will work towards. With other university projects, I know people have made their films with the BBC, ITV and Channel Four in mind. I understand they were never actually shown on these platforms, so if Bipolar UK decide not to use the film in the end, I hope this would not ultimately affect my mark. We would have tried our best, and the offer of it potentially being used is still a huge achievement. 


5) Working on the story (not strictly scripting), developing the top lines,  identifying key areas of interest and debate.

6) The main skills I need to complete Finding Serenity, is to be extremely cautious, aware, sensitive, compassionate and knowledgeable about the subject. I need to let contributors down gently if we can't include them, learn to talk confidently, and openly about suicide and depression. Not to be phased, but be respectful of the emotional journey they are sharing with us. Learn to be aware of how situations can affect them and to be careful not to create stressful situations. But after considering all these factors, I also need to make the best film I can, and push the boundaries as much as I can.  I believe this takes great skill and is a large part of the role I am undertaking. To ultimately be a good communicator. 

7) I will also my credited as the story editor, working on editing software to piece together this enormous jigsaw.

8) I will also be helping Lauren to record sound.

After a lot of research into the field, it seems that documentary making has extremely lapse roles, the majority of those today have one person shooting, producing and directing, Helen also explained she often had to take on all roles. As this is something I want to do in the future for my own business, it makes sense that I would know how to work in all roles. It isn't as straight cut as drama and fictional film. All documentaries have different ways of allocating roles and jobs. I hope this has helped to identify the extensive work I shall be doing on this project. 

I of course will continue to evidence this as we go along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment