Tuesday 10 September 2013

Final Major Project - Meeting With Helen

It was our first day back yesterday and it shocked me just how little we have left before we are out of education forever, and before we have to finish our final films! However,  I think Lauren and myself are in a good place!

I met with Helen later on in the afternoon to talk through our film and get some advice. I explained that we were at a stage where we had twenty contributors and were just waiting to hear their story. Helen advised not to script until we have those stories, but to concentrate on what they top line was and what I want to say during the film, and that it should always be content over style.

I have drawn up the ideas that I want to include:



I also mentioned to Helen about our theme of the ballerina, who may act as a dramatization of the emotions our contributors have gone through, she thought this was a good idea, but to put it on pause until we know the stories, to make sure it ties in and works. Their may be another motif that shines through after interviewing them.

Helen has given me the documentary film "Dreams of a Life" to watch as it may help with style, dramatization and motifs. It tells the story of a young woman whose skeleton is found three years after her death, in her bedsit surrounded by Christmas presents. I'm looking forward to watching it this afternoon and will report back.


We also discussed the interview process, as I am slightly worried about interviewing people who have such sensitive stories, and that suicidal thoughts are quite likely to be brought up. I showed Helen my questions, and it was suggested that I may wish to change them, so they are not questions and a script, but rather areas to cover, bullet point notes that aid it what should fundamentally be a conversation, not an interrogation. I will be doing this in the next few days.

I am just waiting for Gloria to give me the contact information once everyone has agreed, then we are off!

No comments:

Post a Comment