Monday 23 September 2013

Emails, Emails, Emails.

My role as producer for this documentary is to do heavy research into the subject and get to know my contributors and their own stories inside out. I want to find the best stories I can, and make them come together through interview and edit.

Bipolar UK sent out an advert which attracted over 100 responses. I went through every single one, and selected forty, then twenty. Out of those twenty, Bipolar UK contacted them all to make sure they were well enough to participate. 14 were given the go ahead.

I then began to email all 14, to explain who I was, what I was doing and why I was doing it. I wanted to come over as friendly, but professional as possible. I had to make sure that I did not promise anything form the get go, as we are only looking for 4-6 full contributors in the film. I knew at some point I would have to let people down, this was hard to accept and I had to tread carefully.

It took two weeks to build up report, find out the information I need and to organize logistically challenges. Dozens of emails were exchanged with each contributor.

four contributors came through very strongly and five others I would still like to interview research and test further.  I have to be careful not to give to much information away as this is an extremely personal and sensitive situation. All I can devulge at present is perhaps their name, rough locations and career. 


Dan - Mental Health Worker - Maidstone
Dorrit - Ex Lawer, now personal fitness trainer for the disabled - London
Liz - Ex Teacher, now helps with a breakfast club - Surrey
John - Had a multimillion pound company, now runs a very small company making chemicals - Medway

Belinda - Clarinet player and University lecturer - Canterbury
Seema - Optometrist in the NHS - London
Steve - Writer - Tonbridge
Antonia - Studying for her PHD, wants to start up her own business, moved from ITALY - London
Sarah - works for MIND in one of their shops, also does lectures on her experience - Surrey. 

So far I have contacted, Dorit, Dan, Steve and Antonia on the phone,  this week I will be recording the others on the phones and begin to plan a shooting schedule. 


No comments:

Post a Comment