Sunday 1 September 2013

Final Major Project - Documentary Research

Throughout the summer I have been watching endless documentaries, some to do with bipolar, including the famous one with Stephen Fry and others totally unrelated. It has helped me to decide what I want our film to look like and what I don’t.



One that really caught my eye and Lauren’s has been the Impostor, it is an extremely dramatic and fascinating film. I recommend every to watch it! The film in very cinematic and not a television style, which is what I want for “finding serenity”. The cinematography is beautiful, with captivating storytelling at it’s heart. The editor chose to use the expressions of the contributors to tell another layer of the story, and it works extremely well, something else I want to incorporate in our film. It had a huge cinema release, first shown at Sundance Film Festival.

Although I am unsure of where our film will take us, I have always been drawn to cinematic documentaries, such as those by Michael Moore and Nick Broomfield. TV documentaries and fly on the wall styles are fantastic, but because of my love of cinema and film, I want to lean more towards this style. 


Just as fascinating was the making of the Impostor documentary, I have learnt a great deal from this, about research and structuring. I have learnt that documentary is almost backwards from film in terms of pre production, you have to find the story's first and film interviews, before you can script. Really the editing room becomes your writing process, but we will of course have a basic structure and a list of what we need to film before we shoot.


Please watch the trailer for the Imposter, it is truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment