Tuesday 9 October 2012

Major Project - Auditions

Auditions

On Friday 5th October, we held our first round of auditions...... 

I was as nervous as hell! This was the first time I held auditions for actors, and although I had helped with Lauren to find presenters for AS LIVE, this seemed like a whole other ball game. At first I had the feeling that I wasn't worthy enough to audition them. I felt I was creating a situation where I would be judging someone on their talent when I wasn't experienced enough. I felt like when you watch the X Factor, and you're screaming at the telly, "HOW THE HELL IS CHERYL COLE QUALIFIED TO JUDGE SOMEONE'S SINGING?". I was mainly worrying that they would find me out, that these were experienced actors (One had been in a Batman Begins... as a stunt man!), and as soon as I shook their hand they would know I had no idea what I was doing!

After trying to overcome my insecurities I spoke to Simon, who reassured me. He gave me the suggestion of asking the actors to come in the style of their character they were auditioning for. I sent the emails and immediately felt better, I was taking control! 

I then sat down and decided what I wanted to do in the auditions. As my script was silent, and required a lot of physical theatre, I knew it would be a good idea to introduce improv, the majority of which would be silent. I started to make a list of what I wanted to talk to them about on arrival, and what I would like to do as I guide. Depending on how it was going I would ask them to do all the tasks, or just a couple and of course adjust them accordinglu, this is what I came up with .......

  • Are you ok with the dates? times? No pay? location? Subject matter? Semi Nudity? Kissing?
  • What do you feel about the script?
  • What do you feel about your character? 
  • How would you play him/her?
  • The Box Warm Up - Here is a box, hold it, examine it. Decide what you would like to find in that box, and show us what it means to you. We want to see your emotions and reactions before, during and after you have opened the box.
  • The Box Warm Up - Now I would like to give you some more direction, change whats in the box, if it was sad, show the oppopsite emotions. How did you find this?
  • Incresed Direction - Phone a parent or a love one, to convinve them to give you money to pay for   your drug dealer what you owe. Increase manipulation and anger.
  • Uncomfortable Situation - Method Techinique - No pressure to succeed and we can stop at anytime. We would like you to look straight down the lense of our camera, whilst thinking of an extremely sad experience or bittersweet memory. Take you time to allow these emotions to wahs over you, and convey them through facial expression alone. Try to switch off from us and your surroundings and just be raw. 
This last stage of the audition was something we had found Shia Lebouf doing for a director to get tears to flow. It is really powerful to watch, and something are going to incorporate in our piece. Both male actors we auditioned agreed to give it a go, and did really well. James however was exceptional, and just what we were looking for. He has extensive experience in theatre, appearing in prestigous theatres in London, particularly Covent Garden. He has also been a stunt man for ten years, and so has experience with movement. This is the footage we got of his method improv.... we will be calling him sortly to offer him the part.




I am now organising the final line up for Friday, for actresses...

No comments:

Post a Comment