Wednesday 29 February 2012

As Live - Director Role

So since we found out the roles on Monday, I have been working hard on viewing LOTS of live music on television, to really get a feel for how I would like the show to look visually. I have filmed live music a few times, once at the Hazillit and also for As Worlds Collide music video. The most important thing is that you  feel the music, and know the rhythm well enough to cut to. It's also important to know the styles of musicians, and at what points in their songs that they take the opportunity to do "tricks" solos,  breakdowns,  acapella, etc etc.. so that you are quick to capture these moments. Already I have been thinking about shots, and I know I want at least three close ups, one on the singer, one of the hand of the guitarist/guitarists and a hand held, near the back of the stage on the drummer. I want it to be polished, but also have a bit of a edgy look, with a few hand helds, and presenter shots in the audience, especially for outros and intros.
 Here is some videos I have been looking at for inspirtation:


This video of Ed Sheeran is the look I really want to go for, I've spoken with Lauren W, pur Producer, and it's also her vision to have lamps/tealights, with light blurring into the camera, going out of focus and in focus. I also thought of the use of fairy lights, again to create a really nice atmosphere, which Lauren also likes. We have also discussed the possible use of smoke machines which we want to source:









1 comment:

  1. You're right- when cutting to music you need to be counting the bars. However, the basics of good editing/direction will still apply - action/reaction shots, good close ups and safe wides to cut back to etc. Pacing will be important too although as long as you've always got a good selection of cutaways and safety shots you should have your 'get out of jail' cards! Well done for researching this so thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete