Thursday 9 February 2012

Adaption Unit - Workshop

Oliver-Twist.JPG.jpgYesterday we had a great workshop on adapting novels, with particular concentration on Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. This is one of my favorite pieces of work, especially the BBC 2011 adaption, so I really connected with the lecture. 
Our task was to take another classic novel and adapt it in a new way. I chose another Dickens' piece, Oliver Twist, as it has been adapted many times, but as to my knowledge, not brought into a modern setting.


With a HUGE admiration for BBC's recent modern adaptions, such as SHERLOCK, I wanted to use this kind of style. However I would tell the story from Nancy's point of view, and make her life revolve around prostitution, heroin addiction and her lover, Bill, who abuses her and pimps her out to his clients. Therefore I feel this would be best suited on Channel Four, as it has a much grittier portfolio, especially with the likes of the recent Top Boy and Black Mirror. I would aim to schedule a there part series across Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at 9pm for 1 hour. My target audience would be working-middle class, 18 - 45 year olds. Although it appeals to the young generation 18-25, I feel it would have a wider range, due to the great drama and well known story. 
I liked my idea and decided to write a short snippet of the piece in a script form. It's only a draft, and isn't formatted properly, but I would like any feedback you have :) 


My Cast Would Be:


Nancy - Jamie Winstone
Bill - Noel Clarke - Bill Sykes
Gin - Tom Hardy - Faggin
JD - Plan B - Artful Dodger
Ollie - Daniel Kuulya


Beyond Redemption

No comments:

Post a Comment