Monday 16 April 2012

Adaptation - Bringing it all together

With most of my work, I have always found the editing to be the most rewarding. I love being able to take images, and transform them into something better with music, cuts, effects, colour correction and transitions. This piece of work, has been by far the most fun to edit. I really went for it, and experimented with all types of effects and colors.

I started by rough cutting, and placing the clips in the order I had roughly sketched on my storyboard. I then started to play with colour correction. For the nightmare and dream sequences I decided to add plenty of contrast, and pinks, green and blues, to create a fantasy effect. For the shots of my character drinking and have DT's in his room, I didn't need to do much, as I had spent time lighting these well during my shoot, I just added my contrast and smoothed out some of the grain in the darker clips. I also used effects like mirror and negative, in order to create a more surreal feel, 

One of the hardest tasks was making my tracking shots in the Bearsted wood and with the candles look as smooth as possible. I started by making sure I took my time when shooting, and used the tripod and Figrig, but this did not eliminate all of the shaking. I therefore decided to slow the clips down in the edit and place the steady cam effect over the top. If there is a lot of shaking, this effect sometimes makes it worse, but I was really lucky that it gave me the desired effect. With lots of colour correction and changing of contrast and brightness, I really feel these shots are the best cinematography I've achieved to date. 





No comments:

Post a Comment