Sunday 17 March 2013

MAN ALIVE - INTRODUCING THE CHARACTERS



Character Profiling and Casting For Man alive

As a writer, I always find that words flow better onto the page when I know exactly who I am writing for. This does not mean the person I have written for needs to play that character but it helps with my imagination. Sometimes of course they are a combination of people I have met during personal experiences and as such I have not found this limiting. For MAN ALIVE I decided to spend time casting my characters before I wrote the majority of my script to aid me with description and dialogue. I a number of weeks carfeully selecting each and every actor to play my 20+ roles for the series. These actors and actress are British and American, with a mixture of house hold names and unknown talent. They have all appeared in television dramas, many of whom in America and particularly for the AMC network which is important from a producers role when pitching to the channel, they have already had success with them.

I then looked into character profiles, composed a list and with Lauren worked on a way of presenting the main characters in our package. This will be in the form of case files and prison documents. We will also look to produce wanted posters that could be used in the marketing campaign. Below is my work on this area so far;

Before I named the characters, cast them and wrote the case files I sat down and wrote a paragraph or two about their role in the series and where they are heading.  Here is an example of one of the main characters;

Ethan Harperr
A young and wise LAPD cop, with a beautiful wife, and beautiful daughter Molly. Life was perfect in his hometown on the golden west coast. Then it all changed. 
He is the newest member of Coldmarsh Prison, and has been placed on Death Row, for the murder of his Partner James McCarthy. He is also charged with making deals with LA’s biggest Drug Lords. The LAPD cop is of course innocent. Up until now he has been an exemplary officer, harsh but fair. Then he stumbled upon his co workers, taking money from gangs, and promoting brutality among the force. When he made an official complaint, he was taken to a warehouse and locked away, whilst they murdered his partner, who also shared the same information. Ethan Harper, is to be made an example of, and will be punished by death in front of millions of people live on national TV by The Network. However, his only hope is the very same network and their lack of desire for justice. All they care about is ratings, if he can win over the nations heart, and increase votes, the network will keep him alive. But his only hope for escape, is getting into “The Lockdown Games”. 

This is an example of the case files we are looking to print professionally and include in our package:






Here is a list of all the characters featured in the series, the role within MAN ALIVE, key plot developments, who I have cast to play them, a picture of the actor and small bio:


No comments:

Post a Comment