Wednesday 7 December 2011

Work Experience

Last month I was very lucky to have two days work experience on Take Me Out and two days paid work on Frank Skinner's Opinionated!

Take Me Out, was a very large production, with a crew of well over 100, and about the same total number of contestants. During my time on the show, I helped make teas and coffee's for the girl contestants and shadowed members of the crew. It was really fun watching the rehearsals and standing in for the contestants, especially with Paddy McGuiness! When it came to the record, I spent my time shadowing Paul, one of the sound guys. It was a real buzz, running around and watching him mic up all the contestant, and the whole experience really reminded exactly why I wanted to be in this industry in the first place!



Opinionated was brilliant! I had worked on the last series on the show back in April, and it was so lovely that the production staff remembered me, and were very welcoming. I got to spend more time with Chris, the line producer this time. She is such a lovely person, and kind of took me under her wing. On both record days we went to the nearest Tescos, and stocked up two trolleys to the brim with snacks and water for the cast and crew. I was also put in charge of organising the hospitality room, making sure the wine, drinks and food was presented nicely for the after show parties. 
I made sure that on the last record day I spent a much time as possible on the studio floor, where I met a nice camera man, who had started at as a runner at the studios. He gave me invaluable advice, and even let me have my go on the huge studio cameras, which was great! During the record, I was watching the show in the production office, when Frank Skinner, was arguing with one of his guests as to wether a tomato was a fruit or not. It ended with Frank Skinner being told that if he was to eat a bowl of tomatoes and custard, she would admit it was a fruit. This was not scripted, so they just carried on, however I thought I would use my initiative, and go to the kitchen and find some custard and tomatoes, and I knew where everything was! I brought the dish to the production office, and they were thrilled! They took it down to the gallery, and soon enough it was on set, and Frank kept to his word, and ate the whole thing!! Everyone was really pleased I had managed to get hold of some, and I'm pretty pleased that is my claim to fame so far... the tomato and custard girl!! I hope they all come back for the next series!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like excellent experience here and well done for using your initiative - it's great when someone does something good without having to be asked!

    ReplyDelete