Monday 7 February 2011

About Me

Since a very young age cinema and television has fascinated me, it’s the only thing I get really passionate about, and the one thing I can see myself having a future in. One of my earliest memories was accompanying my mother and father to the first screening of The Lion King, at the Odeon, Leicester Square. The pure spectacle of the experience has stayed with me ever since, from the leopard print seats, to the smell of freshly made popcorn, to the music man who appeared from below the stage, to the moment Mofussa was thrown over the cliff.  But I suppose I first fell in love with film during Christmas 1996, when Edward Scissorhands was screened on BBC 1. I was totally transfixed by the world being shown before my eyes, and the character that I would share a great love affair with through the rest of my youth. From a very young age I was mesmerized by the idea of cinematography and creating such a rich, intense and spellbinding escape from the harsh realities of every young girl’s life.


Tim Burton became an inspiration for me, I wanted to be a part of his world, to see through his candy cane spectacles and to peek into his imagination. He was the first director I really paid attention too, enjoying his work from the insanely bizarre Beatlejuice, to the harrowing and beautiful story of Big Fish. 


Along with my adoration for Burton, came hand in hand my love for Johnny Depp. His catalogue of work is perhaps the most diverse, outlandish and truly artistic performances to grace our screens in the last fifty years. (In fact, he is turned into a bit of an obsession of mine, to the point where I paid to go to the Sweeney Todd premiere and sneaked onto the latest Pirates of the Caribbean set!)

Johnny Depp and Me :)

Pirates Set in Greenwich, London


So, when did I first pick up a camera? Well, I was about nine years old. I used to take the rather large family camera, and film various family functions, Christmases, holidays and birthdays, until I started getting involved in other projects, like music videos for local bands and short documentaries in and outside of school.







My First Music Video "Hero in Error" for As Worlds Collide

An interview with director Ken Russell, that I helped to film with Kent TV.

A mini documentary I shot with Kent TV, covering a street running event in Herne Bay.

For anybody interested in film, the one question everyone seems intent on asking you is the dreaded, “So what is your favourite film?”, and with sincerity I always answer, “I’ll let you know when they stop making them”.  How can I possibly decide my favourite film? I don’t pretend that I have watched all the films ever made, or know what the future holds.  I can of course comment on the films I have seen to date, and discuss those that really have affected me and influenced my own ideas.

So where do I go from here? Well, I have just started my new course, a Foundation Degree in Broadcast Media at Maidstone Studios, lead by The University of the Creative Arts. My aim really is to keep learning how to tell stories, to watch as much film and television as possible, talk about my ideas, and gain a hell of a lot of experience, so that hopefully one day I can make my own mark on the Industry. Until then I’ll keep you up to date on my course and open up discussions on any ideas I have or pieces of work I’ve seen… Anyway I hope you stay with me till the credits roll!

5 comments:

  1. Hey :) I got linked to this Edward Scissorhands tribute blog today, it's got some really awesome fanart. Thought you might be interested! http://scissorhands20th.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks :) I shall take a look! Are you a fan too? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm a big fan! Burton/Depp collaborations are always a work of genius :) I'm so jealous of that photo of you and Johnny Depp haha x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha i spoke to him and just burst out crying! He is so lovely though so is Tim Burton. You'll have to go to their next premiere with me :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes most definitely! If you get me in then I will bake you cakes forever :) x

    ReplyDelete